Cock of the Rock
Guide to Wildlife Watching and Ecotourism in Peru
Peru has incredible bio-diversity and
a wealth of wild places and wildlife.
This website will help you discover what there is to see and where to see it.
The range of wildlife habitat in Peru includes the Andes mountains, the
Amazon rain forest, and the coastal zone nourished by the Humboldt current.
Peru has over 1,700 species of birds, over 500 species of mammals and over 300 species of
News and Highlights
- Two New Lizard Species discovered in Peru, March 2013. They were discovered in a section of the Andes Mountains in the northeast of the country. Enyalioides azulae is one of the species.
- Junin Tapaculo: New Bird Species from Cloud Forests of Peru, July 2013. It was discovered in 2008 and described in 2013.
- Eight new Mammals discovered in Peru's rainforests, Oct. 2012. They were discovered on a two-year expedition into the Tabaconas Namballe National Sanctuary, near the border with Ecuador.
- New Population of Very Rare, Long-whiskered Owlet Discovered in Peru, Jan. 2010.
- Victory in the Amazon, The Huffington Post, June 19, 2009. Peru's Congress rolls back legislation that would have allowed exploitation of the forest.
- New species of mouse and beetles discovered in Peru.
- The new field guide - Birds of Peru - is wonderful. It is getting rave reviews from bird-watchers. ...more
- Scientists from the Amazon Conservation Association have confirmed a new species of
Treefrog - Hyla antoniiochoai. ...more
- A new species of mammal, a Spiny Rat, was discovered in Manu. ...more
Featured Location - Manu National Park
It is one of the biggest protected areas in the world. Manu is one of the "Living Edens"
identified by the PBS Series Nature. It is truly a spectacular